Saturday 18 May 2013

Sweet Nut Butter Bars

If you have a sweet tooth, but are avoiding eggs, flour etc., Nut Butter Bars (aka Chickpea Blondies) are a delicious alternative. They contain no flour, are vegan and made with chickpeas, agave and natural almond butter.



For this recipe, I combined a tin of chickpeas (washed and drained), 1/2 cup natural almond butter, 1/3 cup organic agave nectar, 2 teaspoons organic vanilla, 1/4 teaspoon each baking powder & baking soda (I use the Bob's Red Mill brand) and 1/3 cup dark chocolate chips with a dash of sea salt and processed all the ingredients in my food processor.

I lightly greased an 8x8 inch pan with organic coconut oil, spread the processed mixture in the pan, sprinkled a couple more tablespoons of chocolate chips on top and baked in the oven at 350F for 20-25 minutes. You don't want to overcook these or they will be too hard and dry.

Take my word for it - they are amazing!

I will probably experiment some more with this recipe in the future, adding various spices, trying different types of nut butters and swapping the chocolate chips for peanut butter or butterscotch ones.

I'll be sure to keep you informed of my endeavours.

No comments: